I am happy to announce that Cook to Love has recently been nominated for several blog awards. I am so grateful for the outpouring of positive feedback my little blog has been receiving lately, including all of the beautiful and moving comments I received following yesterday’s post, that I decided to make you a present. I am going to share with you the recipe for my new favorite dessert…
An ooey, gooey, dark, and velvety mini-midnight chocolate cake!
Because I appreciate all of you so very much. And I know no better way to express that appreciation, or to make a display of heart-felt gratitude, than by baking you a cake. You, my dear readers and fellow bloggers, make blogging worthwhile and fun. I hope you take the time to visit the wonderful blogs who have given me these awards and those to whom I have passed the awards along.
After you’ve finished reading, I hope you each head straight to the kitchen and take 5 minutes to bake yourselves a rich, decadent, and healthy Midnight Chocolate Mug Cake. Because you all deserve it!
The Sunshine Award
A great, big thank you to Vina’sdeliciousrecipes!, liveblissful, and uberdish for nominating me for the Sunshine Award!
If nominated for this award, you must include a link in your blog to the person (blog) that nominated you. You must also answer some questions about yourself, nominate 10 fellow bloggers, link their blogs in your post, and inform them that they have been nominated.
1. Who is your favorite philosopher? Simone de Beauvoir
2. What is your favorite number? 8
3. What is your favorite animal? Now, this is tough! I adore cats. When I was a little girl, one of my favorite toys was a fluffy, stuffed moose, so I suppose they’re my two favorite animals!
4. What are your Facebook and Twitter? Here’s a link to Cook to Love’s Facebook page. On Twitter, I am CooktoLoveLaura.
5. What is your favorite time of day? Mornings. Few things please me more than standing out on my balcony with a steaming cup of coffee and watching the sun rise.
6. What was your favorite holiday? A trip to Italy with my grandmother in the summer of 2004.
7. What is your favorite physical activity? I’d say it’s a tie between swimming and cycling.
8. What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink? Peach tea
9. What is your favorite flower? Red roses. (I have a hopelessly, ridiculously romantic side!)
10. What is your passion? It’s impossible for me to pick only one, so I’ll go with: family and friends, food, fitness, books, writing, feminism, any- and everything vegan, sunshine, traveling, chocolate, yin-yangs, and the color pink.
And the Sunshine Award goes to…
Move Eat Create
Kicking Back the Pebbles
The Porto Bellas
One Lovely Blog Award
A heart-felt thank you to Namita’s Kitchen for the One Lovely Blog Award!
For the One Lovely Blog Award and the next two awards listed, the Very Inspiring Blog Award and the Beautiful Blogger Award, you are required to list seven interesting facts about yourself, so I’ll do all of that here before I list my nominees for each.
1. I have a chocolate habit. I eat something chocolate every day. Sometimes, it takes the form of brownies, cupcakes, or mini-cakes. Other times, it’s homemade chocolate bars, ganache, or chocolate chips. Once in a while, I even eat chocolate for breakfast.
2. I grew up in a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania, called Pittston, very near Scranton, PA (for those who watch The Office) and the Pocono Mountains.
3. Photography is my least favorite part of blogging–and the element I struggle with the most. I’d much rather mess around in the kitchen than create photographs!
4. I am a certified lifeguard.
5. Last May, I earned a Master’s degree in English and American Literature.
6. Before beginning my graduate studies in January 2010, I worked as a sales professional in the financial services industry. I started off in banking and eventually moved to life insurance, annuity, and mutual fund sales.
7. I have a newly-ignited passion for yoga.
For the One Lovely Blog Award, I would like to nominate:
In Vegetables We Trust
Don’t Switch Off the Light
Sophie’s Foodie Files
Very Inspiring Blogger Award
Many sincere thanks to vinicooksveg for the Very Inspiring Blog Award!
For the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, I nominate:
Made of Stars
Peri’s Spice Ladle
Beautiful Blogger Award
Tremendous thanks and much love to Athina at Kicking Back the Pebbles for the Beautiful Blogger Award!
The Beautiful Blogger Award goes to…
The Domestic Lady
Science on the Land
Tabkhet el yom
Congratulations to all of my nominees! You all engage in wonderful, beautiful, creative endeavors on your blogs! Keep up the great work!
And now, for the moment you’ve been waiting for…My gift to you…
Midnight Chocolate Mug Cake
1 1/2 tbsp sorghum flour + 1 tbsp tapioca starch (or simply use 2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose GF flour mix)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tbsp sesame tahini
1-2 tbsp allergen-free chocolate chips
1/2-1 packet stevia or sweetener of choice, to taste (Since I love the deep, dark, slightly bitter chocolate taste of this cake, I don’t add much sweetener. 1/2-1 packet packet of stevia or the equivalent of another sweetener is enough for my tastes, but you can adjust accordingly. If you don’t like baking with stevia, I recommend using agave or coconut sugar.)
3 tbsp + 1 tsp nondairy milk, or more, if needed
Lightly oil the inside of a mug or small souffle dish. In a small bowl, combine tahini and molasses. In a separate bowl, combine flour(s), cocoa powder, salt, sweetener, and baking powder. Whisk wet ingredients and nondairy milk into the dry ingredients. If the batter is a little dry (It should be smooth and velvety.), add more milk by the teaspoon. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into a prepared mug, and microwave on high for 1 min.-1 min. 30 sec. (Note: The longer you cook this cake, the less gooey and moist it will be.)